Total Pageviews

Friday, May 6, 2011

Gurkha Micro Batch VH-7 Box Pressed Toro Review

Another break in weather produced a sunny day for me and the Turk to enjoy a couple of stogies.

Turk was kind enough to bring me a  Gurkha Micro Batch VH-7 Box Pressed Toro .

Online description describes it as:  a 6”x50 Toro has been box-pressed to showcase the rich, bold qualities of Honduras and Nicaragua, with a touch of Dominican tobaccos to help tame the blend and provide a "noble" quality. Expect a complex array of coffee, leather, and earth delivered in a smooth, somewhat spicy fashion. The finish is full and eventful.

Made with 40% Nicaraguan ligero, 40% Honduran ligero, and 20% Dominican seco, I was really looking forward to what kind of tastes I would encounter.

First off, Turk says to me "Take the cello wrapper off and tell me what you smell." So not wanting to disappoint I did what he asked. To me it had an aroma of cedar, until he asked "Doesnt it smell like a moldy comic book?" I smelled it again and to my surprise he was right! Now to a cigar smoker strange aromas elude to goodness as far as what to expect for tastes as you smoke. Its not uncommon for someone to smell aromas of lets say horse shit and then say "Whoa! This is going to taste great!" Go figure........

Now these cigars are limited to 45,000 cigars per batch and aged 4 monthes post rolling.

Its firm and has a really dark maduro Habano wrapper. I used a punch on the perfect cap and was quite surprised at the totally effortless draw! At first I thought there was a crack in the wrapper letting the extra air in but the wrapper was fine.

Prelight tastes were of sweet tobaccos and raisins. Upon light I was greeted with a blast of nuttiness and pepper. The nuttiness mellowed but was always lingering in the backgound. Definately full flavored but clean to the palate. Definite leather tastes but not so much cofee tastes as the description touts.

Ash was a dirty grey and was firm throughout. Burn was slightly uneven and started to canoe on the end.

Buzz rating is a 9.5 out of 10. Man this one really hit me on the end. That light on your feet good feeling buzz!!

Overall rating is a 4.5 out of 5. This is a sleeper cigar that will really surprise you! A nice complex cigar that is clean and a really nice deviation from your regular smoke. Cigars International sells this cigar now on sale in boxes of 20 for $50, thats only $2.50 a cigar! Or you can buy 5 packs for $20. Don't pass up this cigar! Well worth the money in my eyes.

Till next post.......Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment