Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review Fonseca Maduro Cigar

Hey all! We have had a good run of weather in this last week! Was even able to get into the pool, even if it was to just vacuum it out!

Looking ahead, I will be reviewing a new cutter on loan from Turk, called the Shuriken Cigar cutter.

Today though, I will be reviewing a Fonseca Maduro Cigar.


Originally this cigar hailed from Cuba, but today is manufactured in the Dominican Republic at the MATASA Factory, from Master Blender Manuel "Manolo" Quesada. It is said that it rivals and even outperforms its Cuban original!  Wrapped in a Maduro Connecticut Shade wrapper, it has well aged Dominican long-fillers and a Mexican Binder. 

I'm guessing the size to be 5 x 50. Oils can easily be seen on the body, and especially on the cap. The cap seems to have spots that are slightly lifted, looking to be sloppy work of the roller. The wrapper has slight veins and has a musty smell to the body. The foot smells of sweet chocolate and raisins. 

Prelight draw is good, but I am getting a slight bitterness to the lips from the wrapper. 

Upon light I am getting that Tang I so dislike from Cuban style cigars. At first glance I am not to enthused about smoking the whole cigar, but i decide to give it a chance.

About an inch in I start getting earthy tastes. The tang is starting to subside, a relief to me. The cigar is producing a a dense dark grey ash. At first this cigar had a slightly uneven burn, but has now evened out.



The cigar is producing a good volume of smoke and now bringing chocolate to my palate. This cigar is really getting better and I am glad I gave it a second chance as I was tempted to throw it out in the beginning.

I had a 3 inch ash and as usual, it fell off just as I was reaching for the camera! 



The strength of this cigar is medium and its taste is slightly less than medium.

The cigar was clean to the mouth and had a long lingering finish.

Buzz Rating on this cigar I give a 4 out of 10. Definitely not over powering but very enjoyable.

Overall I give this cigar a 3 out of 5. This by no means says that this is a bad cigar. It was rather enjoyable to smoke. At first I didn't think so but it surprised me with a total turn around in taste. This cigar would be good for handing out to your buddies around the campfire or any kind of gathering. 


Like it?: Yes
Buy it again?: Maybe, but not my first choice over other cigars.
Recommend it?: Yes, This would be a good cigar for newbies wanting to move up from milder cigars.

So thats That! Keep checking back for new posts and reviews or plug in your email address in the appropriate place in the right column to be notified of new posts.

Enjoy the good summer weather!

Till next post..........................Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment