Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pirates Gold Cigar Review

Hey all! Back again with another Cigar review! I know, I know! You are all saying FINALLY!

Before I get to the review I just want to say that this has been quite a busy summer, but not too busy to smoke and write down some reviews. Paul Stulac Cigars are here! Been in the humidor for a few days. Tomorrow Turk will be over to help start the review rolling on this great looking cigar. The one we will be reviewing will be his new line Red Screaming Sun!! These are so new that Paul has told me that even the bands on the cigar are prototypes! We are all excited and feel privileged  to bring this new cigar here to Cigar Moose. So the review with Turk will go up immediately within the next couple days, and as I get the rest of the Posse in board to review, I will update the review.

But first lets review the Pirates Gold cigar today!


We have all seen them advertised at Cigars International. We have all wondered whether it was worth the $30 price for what seems like a bargain boutique cigar. We are all looking for that inexpensive cigar that has that balance of  good construction, great taste, and a fair price that won't bust the wallet. Look no further. This cigar will appeal to a lot of us Brothers of the Leaf in all those requirements.

Cigars International describes this cigar as being a creation of Rolando Reyes Jr in the Puros Indios Factory. He pulled the blend off the market a few years ago and let it age to bring out a real mellowness. Other than that CI doesn't lend any info as to the blend or wrapper. After a search on the net, I found on The Cigar Hut,   (www.cigarsforlass.com), that this is a Honduran Cigar which is medium to full bodied. It has filler consisting of Dominican, Brazilian, and Nicaraguan tobaccos. It Comes in two choices of wrapper, an Ecuadorian Sumatra or Maduro.      

The cigar we are reviewing for today is the Maduro version. We have all seen these in the catalogs or online. We have all wondered if they are a good cigar for the paltry price they sell them for.


Right off the get go I instantly notice the brown tint to the Cello wrapper. That's from the oils of the cigar from the aging process. It's a good sign. As I look the cigar over I notice the oils on the toothy, veiny wrapper. The body smells like musty hay, the foot smells of sweet chocolate. It has a generous cap. 

Pre-light draw is effortless and oddly enough tastes of rum. Call me crazy but ironically it does! 

Upon light I get a big hit of spice and lots of toasted nuts. It's starting off mild to medium in body, more on the medium end. 

The burn is fairly even with a whitish layered ash. I notice a black mark forming on the body about 3/4 of an inch up from the burn line.



Closer inspection shows that the black mark is getting a little bigger, but in no way has it affected the draw.


After a few minutes pass, and the ash catches up, a hole appears where the black mark once was. This was just a slight void the rollers left in the process. I have to say that I have had a few of these cigars and this is the first one I have had that did this.


You can see the tunnel of space in the cigar here as it has burned down. Burn at this point was uneven understandably.


Tastes coming through are of wood, earth, and a predominant leather. Burn has evened out and is producing a decent cone. Smoke volume is starting to increase. Ash is starting to turn to a dirty grey color. 


Strength is starting to come through as I am starting to feel the buzz. The cigar is clean to the mouth and has a long finish with strong leather tastes. 

Buzz Rating on this one I give an 8 out of 10. It has a really nice buzz.

Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5. I didn't really like the big leather finish. It was still a good cigar up till the end, just not my preference in a finish. But for those who like that leather tastes prevalent in their smoke, will greatly enjoy this. At the low price tag for this cigar at around $30 for Mazos of 20, you cant go wrong to have these, or at least a cheaper 5 pack from Cigarbid.com, in your humidor for an everyday smoke, or to pass around to the boys at the next card game night.

Like it?: Yes, but the finish was a bit much for me.
Buy it again?: Yes. It would be a good idea to keep a few of these in my humidor, maybe not a whole bundle though.
Recommend it?: Yes, This would be a good cigar for smokers who like medium body, with leather prevalent in the tastes.

 Well that's it! Paul Stulac Cigar review coming up for the Red Screaming Sun line! So stay tuned! Till next post..............Peace!

2 comments:

  1. I've been smoking these for years and really like them.
    Too bad it appears they're discontinued.
    I keep them in my humidor for 8 - 12 months at a time.
    I Like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reasonable cherish this web diary. I am a chain smoker and i venerate to carry a couple of joint tubes with me when I travel. Since they secure my pre-roll. Keep giving is bewildering admonishment. quality pre roll packaging

    ReplyDelete