Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2012

Cuban Rejects Review

Hey all! Sorry for the big delay in reviews. I have been having trouble with my old 5 year old laptop and decided it was time to put it to rest. So now we here at Cigar Moose have a brand new laptop with Windows 8 installed. Wow! What a difference! But there is quite a learning curve moving up from Windows Vista to Windows 8! Also Mr. and Mrs. Cigar Moose have had busy schedules with kids in sports and trying to get everything together for the oldest Moose kid to get ready for college! Times like these is what makes Mr. Cigar Moose really enjoy the fruits of cigars!

We have all seen these cigars in the catalogs, online, or at our local shop. At first glance I didn't think much of them, as might you have,  thinking they were another cheap knock off. Boy was I fooled!

Cuban Rejects.


With a little research on the net, I found out Cuban rejects are considered seconds or "Segundos". They are made by new rollers in training and don't always look good. But they can be surprising as you will see. I have yet to have a bad tasting one. Made by Tobacco General these cigars have very confusing info as to their make-up. One site says they are Dominican, while Tobacco General claims them to be made with Nicaraguan Tobacco. Another site claims the make-up is a Nicaraguan sandwich blend , but they all agree that these are all hand-made and not by machine. The wrappers it comes in are a natural fino and maduro. Another point I'd like to point out is that the company has a hard time keeping up with demand for this cigar, so it can't be that bad.

I have looked at and bypassed these cigars many times. So why now? Why this time? Well, like all of us at some time or another, I was in my local cigar store looking at the racks of cigars one day and noticed that my pockets were quite light that day, get my drift? But I wanted a cigar for that afternoon, something I didn't have in my humidor, Something different. So I spotted the Cuban Rejects on the shelf, price was right (cheap!), and they didn't look all that bad. I chose the Torpedo in Maduro wrapper.

When I got home, I sat down on the back deck to do this review. After all, thats what this blog is supposed to be about, good affordable cigars for the average Joe.

For a cigar that is supposed to be a second and rolled by a new roller, it had a seamless wrap with few small veins to the dark oily wrapper. I must say they are using really good aged maduro wrapper. You can see a slight oily sheen to it.  

The body Smells sweet of hay and raisins, the foot smells of chocolate. The prelight draw is fairly easy, not perfect, and tastes of sweet tobaccos.

Upon light I get nice nutty aftertaste. There is a slight sting to the back of the throat and through the nose, but it is pleasant. A few minute in I notice the burn is slightly uneven. This might be due to my lighting technique. I torch the center of the cigar and move to the outside edges. I recently read of a new technique that makes more sense. All you need to torch is the outside edge of the foot. The air flows fastest at the center of the foot, therefore it will draw the burn from the edge to the center allowing a more even burn. I have not yet tried it, but will keep you posted after a few attempts in the future.

About an inch in, I am getting more pepper through the nose. The cigar is progressing to more medium in taste. Getting a medium volume of smoke which has a salty aroma to it like being near the ocean. By the 1/3 mark I am getting rich tobacco tastes with brown sugar and chocolate. I am really surprised by the complexity of flavors.

Sorry for the lack of more pictures, I got so caught up in the flavors I forgot to take more!

The cigar produces a nice cone with a whitish grey ash. Burn is still uneven.

A little under the 2/3 mark, the strength started to pick up. Alot more spice coming through the nose and on the palate with nice chocolate aftertastes. I am getting a nice buzz! Towards the end the wrapper started to lift a little but nothing to fret about to much.

Buzz Rating on this one I give an 8 out of 10. A nice buzz that builds up perfectly as the smoke progresses.

Overall I give this cigar a 4 out of 5. This cigar really surprised me. It was very eventful in tastes and in building strength. For a cheap cigar I think this one is a winner everyone should have in their humidor.

You can buy these beauties online at various vendors for around $60-65 for a box of 50. But at places like my local tobacconist I have seen these cigars in 10 packs for around $20. You can get Cuban Rejects in Churchill, robusto, toro, and torpedo sizes all within a few dollars of each other. you can puchase online 10 packs of Torpedos like I reviewed for $15 plus shipping from PrimeWholesale.com (http://www.primewholesale.com/cuban-rejects-torpedo-maduro-cigars-4657-prd1.htm) or TobaccoGeneral.com (http://www.tobaccogeneral.com/cuban-rejects-torpedo-maduro-cigars-4797-prd1.htm)


Like it?: Absolutely! Nice buzz and quite the flavor profile!
Buy it again?: I will definitely buy a box to put in my humidor!
Recommend it?: Absolutely! This is the classic cigar that I have been preaching about. It's affordable, it has decent construction, it has a good flavor profile and strength, and did I mention affordable.? Do yourself a favor, buy a 10 pack and try them. I bet you will buy a box!

Cold weather is upon us and we are forced to either give up our hobby for the Winter or move into makeshift Man Caves (garages, porches and sheds) with paltry heating to enjoy our smokes. Unless you are lucky enough to have a spot in your heated house or cellar. I personally am working on a Wood shop/Man Cave but have yet to even put electricity in it (sigh) maybe this Spring.........................

Till next post........................................................Peace!

3 comments:

  1. I agree these are my go to when I'm at home relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smoke the natural wrapper. It's my everyday smoke at work. The are really affordable, and really good smokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a seven inch Windsor Maduro after a 500 mile drive. I don’t own a torch so I used wooden match to toast before lighting. I got a little uneven burn but it began a nice Evan burn after a quarter. I normally like Acids but the last one I paid $12.00 for was disappointing. This was a nice mild smoke down to the stub. This will be my ‘ go to ‘ from now on. Three ounces of Dunsmore Single Malt and this cigarwas perfect relaxation!

    ReplyDelete