Total Pageviews

Monday, May 11, 2015

Oliva Latitude Zero Review

Hey all!! We are back! And we have a great line up of cigars to review this summer.

This review was conducted on 4/19/2015. Spring is in the air and after such a long cold winter, I found myself pushing my limits of cold tolerance on a semi warm day, to get out in some fresh air and light up a stick!


Today I will be burning a Oliva Latitude Zero I got from Turk. 


Like most of you, I find myself often wondering how good a cigar really is, while browsing my mail order catalogs. Oliva Tobacco Company supplies tobacco for big name brands like Ashton, Montecristo, and Davidoff. So naturally I couldn't help wonder how good Latitude Zero was going to be. But at $80 a box of 20 cigars in Robusto size, I am always hesitant to take the plunge. Thats a lot of money for a box when you don't know if you like them!!!!

But lucky for me, Turk being the savvy  shopper he is, got a good deal on a 5 pack off the bid site Cigar Bid.

First thing I notice is that this cigar is very nicely wrapped Habano wrapper. But not just any wrapper. This wrapper is a 2011 R13E Grade or as its called "Angels Cut" Habano wrapper from Ecuador. Veins are very small and it's smooth surface gives off a nice oily sheen. Inside is Nicaraguan Longfillers from 2010, from the Esteli region. 

Taking the 2 part band off I did find a flaw in the wrapper as you can see below. Fortunately for me it in no way affected the draw throughout the smoke.

The Body of the cigar smells a pleasant aroma of Sweet chocolate. The foot a nice smell of toasted hazelnuts. 

The prelight draw s effortless, like sucking through a straw, and tastes of sweet raisins.

Upon light I get a nice nut taste with rich tobaccos. There is also a good sweet taste to the smoke that lingers at the back of the tongue. 

About 15 minutes in, you can see the nice greyish layered ash, with a fairly even burn. 

 

At about an inch in I start getting good pepper tastes. Also I would like to note the good volume of  smoke this cigar produces. I don't know about you, but I find it very satisfying to be able to huff out a great cloud of thick smoke!

Sitting in the cold Spring shade of the deck has forced me to move to the outer deck into the warm sun! First flick of the cigar ash reveals a very decent cone!


 

I just noticed a nice woody aroma to the smoke. So far the cigar has been building up to a medium/full strength. Consistent flavors of nut, pepper, and wood.

At the halfway point the flavor profile has changed a bit. Pepper has greatly diminished and now a caramel/chocolate profile is present. 

These tastes stay right to the end and the the strength is a solid medium.

Finish is clean but tastes are long and lingering. 

Really nice smoke!

I give this cigar a Buzz Rating of 7 out of 10. There is a little kick there!

I give it an Overall Rating of 4 out of 5.

This is a pretty good cigar! Its a pretty eventful cigar flavor wise and in strength. And definitely worth a look in a 5 pack, but due to the price I won't be buying a box any time soon. I would look at the Cigar Bid site to see if a deal could be had for even cheaper per box or 5 pack.

Well, thats it! First review since a a very long hiatus. Now that my health is returning I hope to continue to keep the reviews rolling in. I've got some cigars lined up to test out with my posse. I have even found another walk in humidor in Lake Placid NY. A bit of a drive for me but another option if I get out that way. It's called Stouts and Stogies and located on the main street in a little strip mall.

Here is what I bought on my first trip there:


But more on that at a later time.

Till next post..........Peace!


4 comments:

  1. Just so you know, there is a difference between Oliva Cigar and Oliva Tobacco Company. The people responsible for Latittude Zero are NOT the same as the makers of Cain, nub, or Oliva V series etc, they are 2 different companies. Oliva Tobacco Company (out of Florida) are tobacco growers who sell tobacco to many other companies such as Drew Estate, JC Newman etc... so, once again, this is NOT made by the makers of Cain or NUB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Thanks for the comment and clarifying that bit of info! I will make changes to the review! It is quite confusing! But upon Further investigation I found they supply tobacco to some other great names, so I will put that in the review instead. Good looking out!! Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously confusing when they use the same name indeed! I only found that nugget of info when I went hunting for info on the "R13E grade" tobacco, then I went deep into the interwebs and found that out lol. Smoke on!

      Delete
    2. Tell me about it! All these names and codes for tobacco which really is only valuable to the growers are Greek to the rest of us. We just need to know it's good or not! LOL So what do you think of my blog? Besides my inner circle, hardly anyone comments despite my begging! So I really do appreciate your input. Do you think I need anything? Be honest, I am really looking to keep a following, despite the brief hiatus I took. Again thanks so much for the responses.

      Delete