Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cigar Diary

Good day all! Hope everyone had a great and safe 4th of July!

Today I like to talk about keeping a cigar diary. A cigar diary can be a very useful tool in keeping track of what you like and don't like in a cigar, that you can reference back to if you forget. Personally, my cigar diary has developed into this blog and is very similar.

What I did was take an ordinary lined journal to jot down my cigar adventures. First off you have to come up with your own ratings system. I wrote mine on the inside cover so that anyone who picked up the book could easily decifer my ratings. Not only do I give it a numeral score, but I also have those stick on stars. With those, I would go the extra mile and give 1 -2 stars based on if I would by the cigar again or absolutely had to have that particular cigar.

Now if you choose, like I did, a glue stick comes in real handy. What I would do is take the label off the cigar and afix it in the journal with the glue stick, kind of like the header, so I could identify the cigar again in case I wanted to by it again or forgot what it was.

Pretty much the same information that I put in the diary is what I put in the blog. I write while I am smoking, picking up and putting down the diary periodically, as not to forget particular details later on. I usually start off by inspecting the looks and construction of the cigar. I make notes if it is firm or spongy, the looks of the wrapper and cap, and the smell of the body and foot of the cigar.

I clip the cap and take a prelight draw to see if its easy, hard, or anything in between. I note if there are any prelight tastes. Is it sweet or peppery, is it like cedar or does it sting my lips?

I toast the foot with my torch lighter. I prefer a triple flame jet lighter or one of those Ronson Tech Torches. They seem to light my cigars faster and hotter than regular lighters.



 The Ronson torch seems like overkill, but it has a nice trigger ignition, never seems to fail, and is refillable just like any other jet lighter.It makes a nice table lighter and conversation piece, and has outlasted every lighter I have ever owned.

I light the cigar and blow on the foot to ensure I got a good light. Take a few puffs and notice the initial tastes. I make notes as the cigar progresses, watching the burn to see if it is even, the color and type of ash, and any noticeable taste changes, the amount of smoke it produces, and if it is clean or does it feel like it is leaving a film in my mouth. Whew! That was a long sentence! I also take notice if it produces a cone when the ash is flicked off, I really like to see a nice cone glowing back at me. I sometimes take note if the cigar smoke gives off any noticeable aromas.

In the end I give it my numerical rating with brief final thoughts. If I am having any kind of beverage with it I list it, as a drink can greatly influence the tastes. It can enhance or suppress the flavors in a cigar, so pair wisely, even if its just soda or Kool aid.

Also dont forget to write who you got it from and where you are smoking it. That is really what cigar smoking is about, experiences. Where and whom you are with, kicking back and sharing. Many problems of the world were decided by great leaders sitting back with cigars, letting the time pass, enjoying each others company. So what better way to remember a particular smoking moment than to remember the company you were with. I can look back at a certain cigar review and remember what and who I was with.

So thats it, my suggestions for a cigar diary. A useful tool you can reference back to. Hopefully you will make it part of your routine. Until next post..............Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment