Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: Agusto Reyes Maduro

Okay Folks! This cigar came to me compliments of Fratboy.

When people hear Agusto Reyes, they usually relate it to high priced high quality cigars. Cigars International has struck a deal with his factory to bring us common folk a quality affordable cigar!



CI describes this cigar as full bodied. It has a Connecticut Broadleaf  Wrapper with a Dominican Criollo, Corojo, Cuban seed tobacco fillers. They say it is a rich hearty smoke with deep tobacco flavors, coffee notes, and a spicy sweet finish.

The wrapper upon sight is a dark mottled maduro, toothy and veiny, with a generous cap. Mine is a torpedo with a sweet tobacco smell to the body and a sweet chocolate smell to the foot.

After cutting the head it has a good prelight draw that tastes of rich tobacco and sweet raisins.

Upon light I get a good black pepper taste. You definitly get a sweet maduro taste in the mouth. Getting a fair amount of smoke. The strength initially is definitely mild to medium. About 1/4 in, the burn is nice and even with a layered dirty ash. I am starting to get a slight nicotine sting in the back of the tongue through the nose.


Still getting sweet rich tobacco tastes. By 1/3 into the cigar, pepper tastes have picked up. I cant believe that the ash is still hanging on! 


Dammit! As I wrote that, the ash fell in my lap! All of a sudden the draw is getting tighter, and I am getting a bit of tar forming on the head. Also, not sure if you can make it out in my blurry photo, had a hard time focusing, but there was a noticeable hole in the body of the cigar, visible as a dark spot on the foot.


As you can see in the next picture, it didn't produce much of a cone. Sorry again for the blurry picture. Must be holding the cigar too close to the lens.


So I clipped a thin layer off the head and the draw opened up and the tar issue gone for the time being. I am starting to get coffee and dark chocolate tastes coming through. The description of this cigar touts it as a full bodied cigar, but I must say I have had much fuller bodied cigars. This cigar to me is more medium in body than full. On the last third of the cigar the strength picked up to a solid medium. It's a good cigar in my humble opinion. Good enough that I want to smoke it to the nub. As you can see at this point, the cigar finally produced a sharp cone, despite it being out of focus!


Now I wanted to smoke as much of the nub as possible so I had to pull out my homemade Nub Buddy. No explanation necessary, just see the photo.


Okay, explanation is in order. You can see it's purpose. All it is a shaped stick with 2 tack nails in the end to stick into your cigar, so you can smoke that nub down to almost nothing without burning your fingers. Nuff said. And you can see I did smoke this nub as far as I could. Eventually it burned down more on one side than the other to the point it almost burned my lip!


Finally the camera focused!

This cigar leaves a slight film to the mouth and has a long lingering finish.

Buzz rating on this one I give a 3.5 out of 5. It was a nice comfortable buzz, not overpowering, 

Overall I give this one a 7.5 out of 10. This was a good cigar flavor-wise. What detracted from the score was the fact that the draw tightened up and in the end more tar formed on the head. And not sure I like the film in the mouth on the finish. I like a clean mouth feel. But overall this is still a good cigar despite its minor setbacks.

Like it?: Yes
Buy it again?: Maybe, but not my first choice over other cigars.
Recommend it?: Yes, This would be a good cigar for newbies wanting to move up from milder cigars.

Till next post.......................Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment