Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Joya De Nicaragua Antano1970

Hey All! GMan contacted me to tell me about this great cigar. Sounding familiar to me I looked back in my cigar diary and I found that me and Meatloaf smoked this one last Fall on his porch. 


First of all, this cigar has a bit of history to it. In the 1970's this cigar was regarded as the best cigar in the world! It was made in Nicaragua's first cigar factory which was founded in 1964. Eventually due to war and Communism the factory was destroyed. Well due to the changing times it has been produced again! It has been named Cigar Aficionado's top 50 cigars.  


On the Cigars International website, it is described as a very full bodied cigar, a "muscle cigar". A stock fat figurado, earthy and leathery flavors with floral spicy, hints. They describe the finish as long and complex.


If you remember my review of the Camacho Triple Maduro, I mentioned this cigar that was obtained in a sample pack with the Camacho, from Famous-smoke.com. 



First thing I notice is it's flawless, slightly veiny,  oily Colorado wrapper. It is positively seamless. The body is firm with a sweet straw aroma, which also is true of the foot. Pre-light draw is almost effortless and tastes of sweet raisins. 

Upon light, I was met with a blast of  spice and nuts. Leather notes are definitely there.

I was lucky enough to have a bottle of T-Rex Autumn Ale to pair with this cigar. T-Rex is a friend of mine who brews his own beer and wine. His Autumn Ale reminds me of Samuel Adams brews, slight nuttiness and hops flavors.

The Ale brings out more nuttiness in the cigar and vice versa. The cigar tames the hops down a bit, so I would say they pair well together. 

When lighting, I had a hard time getting the whole foot lit. I am not sure if it was just because of it's size or maybe a moisture issue from being in the humidor. It resulted in a slightly uneven burn which corrected itself quickly.

As the cigar progresses, the leather tastes tame down a bit to a smoother profile.  Not sure if it's the Ale helping that or just the way the cigar progresses.  Starting to get a bit of chocolate on the back of the palate.

As the cigar progresses, I am getting a good amount of thick smoke. Nice! Just what I like in a cigar. Meatloaf is showing me up once again blowing smoke rings, one after another. I am jealous! That is one trick I just can't seem to perfect.

The cigar produced a dense layered silvery ash. I flicked the ash 1 1/2 inches in, which produced a blunt cone.

There is a definite complexity of flavors in this one. I'm getting coffee, chocolate, leather, earth, and pepper.

As this cigar progresses picks up in strength. Although it never gets harsh or hot, I can definitely feel the kick swimming in my brain!

The finish is clean to the mouth, with a lingering tastes of pepper and leather.

Buzz Rating on this cigar I give 8 out of 10. Oh, it's all there! Very nice buzz going on here! You would probably best have this cigar on a full stomach. I would say this cigar is not for guys new to cigars. It might be too much for them and put them off cigars for awhile.

Overall I give this cigar 4 out of 5. A lot happening here! The complexity in flavor, the strength, and the lack of harshness make this cigar a winner! Definitely one of my "must have" cigars.

You can get this cigar from a few of the online vendors. Famous-Smoke.com sells a really nice sampler of 5 different sizes for $23. Cigars International has a good deal on boxes for prices ranging from $100-$135 for boxes of 20 which also include a 6 cigar sampler for free. That's only $4-$6 per cigar! But try the sampler first if you have never had this cigar. You won't regret it! 

Okay here is something new I am going to add to my reviews. 

Like it?: Yes
Buy it again?: Yes, might even buy a box!
Recommend it?: Yes, but for seasoned smokers only.

Till next post...............Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment