Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Calle Ocho Cigar Review

Today I would like to review one of my favorite cigars which has become a main staple in my humidor, the Calle Ocho. This cigar is quite affordable form Cigars International coming in six sizes from a Robusto for $32.99 up to the Presedente for $42.00. They come in bundles (mazos) of 20 and average $1.65 to $2.15 per stick.

Calle Ocho has a Nicaraguan blend with a Sumatra wrapper. It is decribed in its ad as boasting a nice tooth and sheen, as a medium-bodied Nicaraguan blend with an earthy profile, complemented by a natural sweetness, ample flavor but not overpowering.

The first thing I noticed was how nicely wrapped it was. Slightly shiny from it's natural oil, a good sign the tobacco was aged properly, with little veins throughout. The size I tested and normally buy was the Torpedo (6.5" X 52 ring guage). Tobacco at the foot smells sweet and pre light draw was perfect and also had a sweetness to the tongue.

Upon the light it had big toasted almond tastes to the palate. Different than the description but like I have said before, everyone has a different palate, therefore you might find it different even from me. To me while puffing, there was a surprisingly sweet taste with a bit of peppery spice.

Draw stayed decent, never firm, a bit less than medium draw, very slight effort. Ash was silvery white, which signifies alot of nitrogen in the growing soil. It doesn't produce a decent cone everytime, even blunt at times.

 The strength of the cigar started off medium and then halfway through mellowed out more really nice. The smoke smells a little sweet, not like a Swisher Sweet, but more like Dominican cigars. Toasty notes with that peppery spice right to the end, very nice.

My Buzz Rating: 8 out of 10, Overall Rating: 4 out of 5.

Try some out. I think that the current "Brown Bag Sampler" for $20 from Cigars International usually contains one along with 9 other usually great Premium cigars.
Till next post........peace.

4 comments:

  1. You are right on the button with this. I just finished one I received out of my "brown bag sampler". It was a very decent cigar. Mine did a fine job producing a cone. Very pleased with this little cigar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim thanks for posting your opinion! I don't get many comments here on the blog but am pleased to see them when someone does! Lets me know someone is actually reading the posts. I agree with you on the Calle Ocho, very nice cigar at a cheap price. Thanks again and please comment again. Tell all your friends about the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried one tonight also from the brown bag sampler. Really enjoyed it. Will buy a bundle now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was just thinking the other day that I have to pick up another bundle of these myself! I might have to do a Reload review of this one complete with pictures. Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete